College is expensive. The Jewish community, through the Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Chicago, can help.
Applications for academic year 2023/2024 are now open! Apply here.
Applications and all supporting documents are due no later than February 1, 2023.
If you have any questions or would like more information, please email us at email@example.com.
How it works
We administer educational scholarship funds from the Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Chicago to help Jewish college and graduate students offset some of their financial burden. Assistance is available for those with financial need who are pursuing careers in the helping professions. Scholarships range up to $4,000 and are potentially renewable.
You are eligible to apply if you:
- Are Jewish
- Were born and raised in Chicago metropolitan area*, including Lake County, Indiana; or had one continuous year of full-time employment in the Chicago metro area prior to enrollment
- Intend to remain in or return to the Chicago metropolitan area after completing school
- Are entering an accredited graduate program in a helping profession** on a full-time basis for the fall 2023 through spring 2024 academic year or
- Are entering your junior or senior year of an accredited bachelor’s degree program in a helping profession** on a full-time basis for the fall 2023 through spring 2024 academic year
- Demonstrate financial need and career promise
*Chicago metropolitan area includes Cook, DuPage, Kane, Lake, McHenry, and Will counties.
**Applicants must demonstrate career promise in a helping profession such as:
- BUSINESS (undergraduate at U.I.U.C. only)
- COMMUNICATIONS (College of Media at U.I.U.C. only)
- EDUCATION – journalist, Jewish studies, teacher
- HEALTHCARE/PUBLIC HEALTH
- JEWISH COMMUNAL SERVICE
- LAW – public interest
- MEDICINE – audiologist, chiropractor, dental hygienist, dentist, doctor, geneticist, nurse, occupational therapist, optometrist, pharmacist, physician’s assistant, physical therapist, researcher, speech therapist, veterinarian
- PERFORMING/FINE ARTS – actor/actress, artist, musician, photographer, poet, playwright, sculptor
- PHYSICAL/NATURAL SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SERVICE – gerontologist, psychologist, social worker, therapist/counselor
- THE RABBINATE – cantor, rabbi
- TECH/SCIENCES – architect, biomedical engineer, biochemist, chemist, engineer, computer scientist, environmental engineer, mathematician, other sciences
- URBAN AFFAIRS/PUBLIC POLICY
If you’re not sure if your educational path qualifies as a helping profession, please check with us at 312.673.3444 or firstname.lastname@example.org to verify eligibility before completing application.
School acceptance is not required at time of scholarship application.
Why it works:
We process academic scholarship applications from eligible students who have financial needs that cannot be fully met by other appropriate resources.
Take the first step:
Have any questions or want to learn more about our scholarship program? Contact us at email@example.com
For information regarding the Jewish Federation Shirley Ehrlich Student Loan Program.