Permanent Residents or U.S. citizens may initiate requests for family members to immigrate to the United States. HIAS Immigration & Citizenship staff can prepare petitions and documents required by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service, and help you work with consular authorities abroad.

Our staff help clients file:

  • I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e)
  • I-130, Petition for Alien Relative
  • I-730, Refugee/Asylee Relative Petition

I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e)

File Form I-129F if you are a U.S. citizen and want to bring your fiancé(e) and their children to the United States so you can marry. You must show that: i) you intend to marry your finance(e) within 90 days of them entering the United States; ii) you and your finance(e) are both free to marry and any previous marriages have been legally terminated by divorce, death or annulment; and iii) you met each other, in person, at least once within 2 years of filing your petition.

I-130, Petition for Alien Relative

This form can be used by U.S. citizens or lawful permanent residents (LPR) who seek to bring a relative to the United States. Filing an I-130 is only the first step in helping an eligible relative immigrate.

The filing or approval of this petition generally does not give your relative any status in the United States.If the petition is approved, your relative may apply to become a LPR. Certain relatives must wait until there is a visa number available before they can do so.Typically, relatives physically present in the United States may apply with USCIS by filing Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status. Typically, relatives who reside outside the United States may apply for a visa with the U.S. Department of State.

I-730, Refugee/Asylee Relative Petition

If you have been admitted to the United States as a refugee or if you were granted status in the United States as an asylee within the previous two years, you may be eligible to file a Form I-730 to request that your spouse and/or unmarried children under 21 years of age join you in the U.S.

For more information, contact HIAS at 312.357.4666

to help

We're Here

to Help.

For assistance or more information, call us at 855.275.5237 or email us at