JCARES: Jewish Community Abuse Resources, Education and Solutions
- The JCARES Coalition
- JCARES Professional Training Institute
- Partnership for Safer Communities
- Project Shield
JCARES efforts are envisioned and guided by a 50+ member coalition that includes representation from Jewish and secular social service, mental health, domestic violence and sexual assault agencies; synagogues; funders; governmental and municipality entities; as well as advocates and community leaders and stakeholders. The Coalition is a synergist for new and strengthened partnerships and collaborative action.
Sexual abuse and sexual assault often have a profound impact on the sexuality of survivors and of their partners. Many survivors find healing through therapy and other means, yet challenging relationships with sex often go unaddressed. Bringing together elements from the fields of sex therapy and trauma treatment, we will look at how PTSD may show up in sexual relationships and support clinicians to directly address these sexual impacts. The training will also include: preparing the client to work on sexual issues, applicable principles from trauma treatment, a focused, three-tier assessment and intervention concepts and tools.
- Participants will be able to describe multiple ways trauma and PTSD can specifically manifest in sex and sexual relationships.
- Participants will be able to articulate and apply three tiers of assessment relevant to working with survivors around sexual issues.
- Participants will be able to describe multiple strategies for intervention for sexual challenges of abuse survivors.
Project Shield works in partnership with the community to build safe, healthy Jewish relationships and families by heightening awareness and providing education about child sexual abuse.
Support & Funding
JCARES is supported by the Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Chicago, the Michael Reese Health Trust and other generous donors. Jewish Child & Family Services is a partner with the Jewish United Fund in serving our community.
Amy Rubin, JCFS Senior Director of Community Services