“I am with you in times of trouble, I will strengthen you and honor you.” (based on Psalm 91:15)
During the most challenging of times, we ensure that life is honored, human dignity is respected and kindness is shown to individuals and families who are coping with illness, loss and grief.
JCFS Chicago's illness, loss and spiritual support services embrace the comfort of human connection, the spiritual support of Jewish tradition and a sense of community to alleviate loneliness and isolation. JCFS Chicago works in collaboration with the Chicago Board of Rabbis and CJE SeniorLife.
Support for the Community
- Jewish Chaplaincy Services offer welcoming, compassionate, easily accessible and professional spiritual support for individuals and families
- Nechama ("comfort" in Hebrew), a one-time conversation designed specifically to meet the needs of individuals who have experienced a recent loss
- Loss-specific support groups
- Pastoral counseling for those struggling with spiritual or religious issues
- Annual Grief Retreat filled with healing activities such as meditation, music, study, and contemplation
- JCFS Chicago, MISSD (The Medication-Induced Suicide Prevention and Education Foundation in Memory of Stewart Dolin) and No Shame on U are partnering to provide suicide prevention education and support in the Jewish community with support from JUF’s Breakthrough Fund.
Training and Education
- Community programs including the annual Conference on Help, Healing and Hope after Loss
- Workshops for social service and healthcare professionals, clergy, chaplains and synagogue leaders
- Bikur Cholim trainings for synagogue communities to strengthen skills needed to sensitively and compassionately provide comfort and care to sick and struggling congregants
- Learning opportunities focused on illness and death through a Jewish lens to help hospices and other healthcare facilities provide culturally sensitive care
Information and Resources
- Prayer pamphlets: Jewish Prayers and Reflections on Healing (English and Russian versions); Prayers for the Caregiver; Vidui—Prayers for the End-of-life; Prayer for Persistence for Those with Chronic Illness
- Connections to community resources
Support & Funding
JF/JUF Fund for Innovation in Health (funded by the Michael Reese Health Trust) and The Albert and Lucille Delighter and Marcella Winston Foundation, a Supporting Foundation of the Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Chicago, The Lauri S. Bauer Foundation for Sudden Loss and other generous donors.
Video from The 6th Annual Conference on Help, Healing and Hope After Loss, presented by Illness, Loss and Spiritual Support and the Lauri S. Bauer Foundation For Sudden Loss