Specialized and Traditional Foster Care
May is National Foster Care Month! Find out about an informational meeting near you, and learn about becoming a Foster Parent. We need you!
There are times when a family’s home life is in turmoil, perhaps stemming from a neglectful or abusive situation. During these times, children in the family need calm, loving and healing places to live for extended periods of time. These children and youth who have a high degree of emotional, behavioral and/or medical problems receive support from JCFS’ Specialized Foster Care program.
Foster Family Support Programs
JCFS places children and adolescents from birth to 21 years of age in foster homes. We provide individual/family therapy, group therapy, life skills classes, respite care, nursing, in-house training, an advisory board, case management and 24/7 on-call support from our team. Our caseworkers and therapists have a manageable caseload and intensive supervision to ensure these children remain in a safe environment.
Foster Parent Recruitment and Licensing
In addition to placements, the foster care program recruits and trains potential foster parents to provide care for these children. JCFS works with foster parents who live in Cook, DuPage and Will counties. Learn more about becoming a foster parent.
Exceptional Foster Care Services
We pride ourselves on our exceptional record of performance, consistently exceeding the expectations of the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services. Our foster care and specialized foster care services include:
- Recruitment of Foster Parents through community events and monthly information meetings
- Licensing Foster Parents through training, home study and monitoring
- Private Foster Care for Jewish Families, in which cases the parents will need to have medical coverage for their children and will pay a sliding scale fee
- Post Adoption/Guardianship Counseling Services, with specific provisions for individual and family therapy for a child and family who have adopted or obtained guardianship
- After Care counseling services upon reunification with the biological parents
- Mentors for older youth in foster cxare
- Fun activities for our families including trips to the Commons Threads Garden and Chicago Sky basketball games.
- Access to consultation to other programs within JCFS including addiction, developmental disabilities, a teen health center and more.