Upcoming Workshops for Professionals
Jewish Child & Family Services, through its Center for Practice Excellence and Jewish Community Emergency Resiliency Team (J-CERT), offers conferences, workshops and training for professionals, staff, students and the community in mental health, developmental pediatrics, special education, social work, medicine and law. J-CERT specifically supports Jewish organizations and communities in their efforts to be proactive in their emergency planning or “readiness” when responding to, handling and recovering from crises.
December 4, 2015
9 am - 12 pm
Substance use impacts older adults differently than younger age groups. Whether due to ageism, lack of education and training, or working in systems that minimally support assessment and treatment efforts, professionals across all service areas frequently overlook substance use in aging or do not know how the most appropriate, effective ways to intervene.
This interactive session will provide participants with tools, techniques and examples to:
- Understand the unique characteristics of older adults and the need for age-appropriate interventions for a continuum of substance use problems
- Practice the older adult Screening Brief Intervention and Referral to Treatment (SBIRT) model for identifying at-risk use of alcohol and psychoactive medications
- Learn effective brief intervention strategies to use with at-risk older adults
- Recognize the connection between present and lifelong stressors/losses and substance use problems
- Learn effective interventions to use with older adults who have mild, moderate or severe alcohol and/or psychoactive medication use disorders